“Open Day is a fantastic event – there is so much on offer. But sometimes I think this can be overwhelming for visitors – knowing where to start.
At our Open Days, there are lots of different people to talk to – and they are all happy to help. You can chat to current students, course experts, support staff and admissions experts. Here are some questions to get you started.
Questions to ask course experts
Course experts are academics, course coordinators and lecturers. Basically, they know the details about each course on offer.
- What does the course cover?
- Is study abroad an option and would it count towards the degree?
- How many hours a week will I get face-to-face teaching?
- What’s the split between lectures, tutorials and self-directed study?
- What size are tutorial groups?
- How does the subject at ACU compare with the way it is taught at other unis?
- What links does the faculty have with employers?
- Do you build employability skills into the curriculum?
- Are there opportunities for work experience and placements?
- Does ACU help find the placements and are they paid?
- What kind of jobs do graduates get?
Questions to ask support staff
Support staff facilitate a range of great services to help you achieve your study and career goals.
- What is on offer during Orientation?
- Who can help me if I’m struggling with my studies or need help?
- Can someone help me improve my study skills when I start uni?
- Is there anyone who I can talk to if I’m feeling overwhelmed by personal or uni issues?
- What if I have a disability? Is there any support for me?
- Can you tell me about student accommodation options at this campus?
- Are there any options to get help developing my career or finding work?
- I’m an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander – are there any services available for me?
Questions to ask admissions staff
Admission staff know all the ins and outs of applying to uni. They are the people who actually process applications, so they’ll be able to give you some great tips.
- What scholarships are on offer?
- Can I get any help with my fees and university costs?
- Can you tell me about admissions pathways to my course, for example adjustment factors or entry schemes?
- Can you tell me what options I have if I don’t meet the entry requirements?
- How do I apply to my course, and what are the deadlines?
- Do you have any advice for preparing my application?
Questions to ask current students
Current students know all about life at university, and they’ll be able to answer questions about the university experience from a personal perspective.
- What clubs and societies are available at ACU?
- How do you find studying at this university?
- What are the best things about being a university student?
- What are the biggest challenges about being a university student?
- How is university different from high school?
- What are your tips for fitting work around study?
- Do you have any advice for me?
Remember, you can ask anything you like at Open Day – there are no wrong questions. So come along, take a look around, and explore your study options.”
To plan your Open Day visit openday.acu.edu.au